Skillcrush is on the hunt for an experienced Back-End Developer to join our team!
Our Director of Engineering will be on leave this fall and we’re looking for a back-end developer to help us develop new features and iterate on the Skillcrush product while she’s away.
This is a full-time, seven month contract to start but we would love to find someone with an interest in joining our team permanently.
About the Role
The Product Development team at Skillcrush is made up of designers, developers, video editors, and curriculum writers who collaborate with every team to support students as they transform their careers by learning new digital skills.
As a Back-End Developer, you will first and foremost be responsible for creating and maintaining custom WordPress plugins and themes.
You’re a good fit for this role if you have a strong understanding of object-oriented PHP, WordPress plugins, and test-driven development. You should also have experience putting this knowledge to work on a commercial development team. (If it was a Product Development team, even better!)
Additional DevOps skills—such as continuous integration, scalability, server & system administration, security, and automation—are preferred but not required.
This a mid-level role not suitable for junior developers.
- Create, maintain and improve custom WordPress plugins and themes
- Maintain and improve unit and integration test suites
- Participate in discovery, technical design discussions, user interviews, and scrum planning meetings
- Pair program with front-end developer and QA tester
- Work closely with team Product Owner to ensure that upcoming stories have reasonable technical expectations
- Help manage deployments
- Maintain development, staging, and production environments
- Available for occasional but regular on-call rotation to handle off hours critical support issues
- Provide documentation and appropriate training (wiki, screencast, workshop) for new features
- Experience developing custom plugins for WordPress
- Experience using Git on a commercial development team
- Knowledge of object-oriented PHP
- Understanding of test-driven development
- Proficiency in writing unit and integration tests
- Excellent English communication skills (written and verbal)
- Access to a reliable, high-speed Internet connection
- Available to work at least 4 hours within 9am-5pm Pacific Time Zone
- Experience working on an Agile/Scrum development team
- Experience working in a remote environment with team members in different time zones
- Experience scaling WordPress sites
- Experience with implementing continuous integration for WordPress sites
- Flexible, remote work
- Competitive benefits package
- Coworking space stipend
- Free access to all the Skillcrush classes you can eat
- A fun, passionate team working from all over the world
- A fast growing company with lots of opportunities for job growth
- $75-80k, commensurate with experience
Skillcrush is a rapidly growing online tech education company that offers online classes on a variety of technological topics.
At Skillcrush, we have built an open & collaborative environment. We hire the people we want to work with, but who also think differently than us and challenge the status quo. We empower people, giving the support and autonomy needed to succeed. We embrace data to make decisions and overcome obstacles. We do what we do well, but we’re always looking to do it better.
Skillcrush is an equal opportunity employer and evaluates applicants regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, gender, religion, national origin (or current homebase), sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, family status, timezone, geography, musical preferences or college football allegiances. We think a diverse team builds a better product!
Although based in New York City, the Skillcrush team is a remote company and welcomes job applicants from all over the world!